Thursday, April 5, 2007


So aside from covering news related bits, I mentioned I was going to write up bits about what games I'm playing at the moment as well. Being a huge fan of RPGs and SRPGs, and anime-styled ones especially, I've been trying to get my hands on NIS' Spectral Souls for some time now. I'd heard almost nothing but bad about it, mostly in regards to the "insane" and "game-ruining" loading times the UMD provides us with. Still, I bit the bullet, and finally found a copy of it on Amazon a few days ago.

Just yesterday it arrived, and after putting about three hours in or so, I've got just one thing to say to all the loading-haters: WHAT? In all seriousness, I have yet to see a load time that's more than 3-4 seconds at most, and probably 90% of the load times are barely a second long. I can't believe people are so impatient that they'd bitch this much about things!

It would be different if the game itself was bad on top of the load times, but so far it's very fun, and definitely one of the more enjoyable NIS titles I've played--which is most of them. The battle system is great, and the music is simply fantastic. The only improvements I'd really wish for would have to be voice acting. I'm a sucker for good voices, and they really make a game for me.

Besides, how could you hate an RPG that doesn't feature a generic adolescent protagonist for once?! That alone is a breath of air fresh enough to make almost any problem worth ignoring!

Also, check here for more screenies and artwork, it's definitely worth a look!

No comments: